Design by Rhoek.comDesign by Rhoek.com
Design by Rhoek.com

Search Design by Rhoek.com Forum

Minimize
Skin design and build by rhoek.com
Weather Discussion Minimize
HomeHomeGRIB.US GRIB.US GeneralGeneralUsing SSB to get the GRIB file?Using SSB to get the GRIB file?
Previous

Next
New Post
3/7/2007 12:56 PM

Hi GRIB.US Team,

I have downloaded and tested your GRIB.US and found it excellent while at home with a fast internet connection.

However once I will be back onboard my yacht and wish to get the weather files, and can't use the GSM at sea and my Global Star satellite phone is out of range (often on the high seas), I would like to use the SSB.

Is it possible to use the GRIB.US via SSB?

I know of the other systems that go via f.ex. Sailmail or Winlink and their e-mail systems by using the SSB, but in your FAQ I failed to see any talk about the SSB, but have noted in your settings one can link via "Modem" and as I have a Pactor II & III linked to the SSB and Laptop, I wonder if you have thought about this possibility.

Thank you.

Best regards.

Paul 
New Post
6/7/2007 6:27 AM

Although I am totally new to this apparently EXCELLENT service, I wonder whether the SSB solution wouldn't best be served by SailMail which has a built-in grib retrieval and display system.

Of course, one could use saildocs to retrieve a grib file and then view it with this program as well.  In any case, I have found that the key is to limit your requests so that you are not a bandwidth hog.
New Post
8/19/2007 12:33 AM

Sorry for the late reply.

But the answer is yes, you can use UGRIB to display the grib files downloaded or sent by Saildocs.

In fact, I have UGRIB place it's gribs in the FAXFILES folder of Airmail3.  I can then conveniently use either the ViewFax program (part of the Airmail3 suite) or UGRIB to display the gribs.

Terry

http://yachtvalhalla.net
New Post
11/16/2008 7:58 PM

Valhalla,

Please do say more about using an SSB to request and download the GRIB files? You mentioned Saildocs in your post. What is Saildocs?

I am a HAM with Winlink and have AirMail3. I have only used SailMail for e-mail so far.

Thank you,

Bill
New Post
11/24/2008 6:09 PM

Hello Sailors, grib.us requires a full qualified IP connection. It is using port 80, which is the standard HTTP port. Sailmail does not offer TCP/IP connections throught HF. This is only possible by the so called GLN network. http://www.gln-network.net. I did try to download data by SSB through that network, but the system did run into a timeout. I guess the reason is, that the reply from the DNS (name server) was to slow and so the UGRIB died. I'll recommend to try an own 'nameserver' for the computer on bord. Therefor You have to modify or create the following file: C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts ######### hosts file first line ########### # Host file for MS Operating System # 127.0.0.1 localhost 62.148.188.51 grib.us ######### hosts file last line ####### It has to be a written with the text editor. This prevents the access to the DNS and will resolve the request locally. I have not tested it yet and will keep You updated.
Previous

Next
HomeHomeGRIB.US GRIB.US GeneralGeneralUsing SSB to get the GRIB file?Using SSB to get the GRIB file?

Home | Grib Data | FAQ | Forum | Downloads | Contact
    Design by Rhoek.com
    Design by Rhoek.com
    Terms | Privacy | GRIB.US Copyright 2005-2011 by GRIB.US
    Design by Rhoek.com